Congratulations to Dr. Christopher McPherson, a finalist in the innovator category at the Cincinnati Business Courier’s 2013 Health Care Heroes banquet Tuesday night at the Duke Energy Convention Center!
Dr. McPherson is a neurosurgeon with the Mayfield Clinic, Director of the Division of Surgical Neuro-Oncology for the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, and a member of the UC Brain Tumor Center. He was honored for his growing national role in the research and treatment of brain tumors.Although Dr. McPherson treats patients with a wide variety of brain and spinal disorders, his subspecialty is neuro-oncology – cancer of the brain. Within that subspecialty he has made a special commitment to the battle against glioblastoma multiforme, a common and highly aggressive brain tumor. Dr. McPherson is currently involved in 11 clinical trials that could lead to better treatments for glioblastoma and other related brain cancers.
Dr. McPherson is Cincinnati’s principal investigator in The Cancer Genome Atlas, a national study that seeks to map out the glioblastoma and gliomas tumors’ entire genomes in order to identify abnormalities at the molecular level that could be targets for therapies of the future. He is also Cincinnati’s principal investigator in the Ohio Brain Tumor Research Study, which is looking at risk factors for brain tumors.
Dr. McPherson joins seven other distinguished clinicians and scientists from Mayfield who have been honored as finalists or winners in the Health Care Heroes event. They are:
- 1999 – John M. Tew, MD, winner, innovator category, as Director of The Neuroscience Institute
- 2004 – Hwa-shain Yeh, MD, winner, innovator category, with neurologist Michael Privitera
- 2007 – Ronald Warnick, MD, finalist, provider category
- 2007 – John M. Tew, MD, Lifetime Achievement Award winner
- 2008 – Charles Kuntz, IV, MD, finalist, innovator category
- 2009 – Mayfield Clinic (for Priority Consult), finalist, innovator category
- 2012 – Jed Hartings, PhD, finalist, innovator category
- 2012 – Nancy McMahon, RN, winner, provider category
We congratulate Dr. McPherson, our past finalists and winners, and all of the Mayfield physicians, managers, and staff who give their utmost in the service of our patients each and every day.